Mezzo-soprano Olesya Petrova has a warm, round voice with excellent low, middle and top notes. She is charismatic, with a marvellous stage presence.
RECENT AND FUTURE ENGAGEMENTS
Some recent and future highlights include:
- Amneris/Aida at the MET, at San Diego Opera, at Arena di Verona, and at Mikhailovsky Theatre;
- Azucena/Il Trovatore, Ulrica/Un Ballo in maschera, La Frugola/Il Tabarro and Antonia’s Mother/Les Contes d’Hoffmann at the MET;
- Polina/The Queen of Spades at the Bolshoi Theatre;
- Santuzza/Cavalleria rusticana and Ulrica/Un ballo in maschera at Mikhailovsky Theatre;
- Azucena/Il Trovatore at Opera Østfold;
- Kozlovski’s Requiem with Singapore Symphony Orchestra;
- Missa Solemnis with Orchestra Cadaques Barcelona w. Maestro Noseda;
- Requiem di Verdi with Teatro San Carlo di Napoli in Salerno and with Mehta at The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra in Tel Aviv.
Since 2016 Olesya Petrova has been a soloist at the Mikhailovsky Theatre, where she performs the roles of Ulrica/Un ballo in maschera, Santuzza/Cavalleria rusticana, and the Countess/The Queen of Spades among others.
In 2007–2016 she was a soloist with the Opera and Ballet Theatre of the St Petersburg Conservatory.
In 2014 Olesya Petrova made her debut at the Metropolitan Opera in a production of Andrea Chénier in the role of Madelon; she has also sang the voice of Antonia’s mother/Les Contes d’Hoffmann, Frederica/Luisa Miller, Amneris/Aida, Maddalena/Rigoletto, Konchakovna/Prince Igor, and Marfa/Khovanshchina.
In 2018 she made her debut at the Bolshoi Theatre of Russia, performing the role of Polina in a production premiere of The Queen of Spades (conducted by Tugan Sokhiev and directed by Rimas Tuminas).
As a guest soloist, she has appeared with the Greek National Opera (Ulrica/Un ballo in maschera and Suzuki/Madama Butterfly), the Opernhaus Zürich (Konchakovna/Prince Igor), the Latvian National Opera (Azucena/Il trovatore and Amneris/Aida), the Hamburger Staatsoper (Mrs. Sedley/Peter Grimes and Federica/Luisa Miller), Madrid’s Teatro Real (Amelfa the Housekeeper/The Golden Cockerel), Barcelona’s Gran Teatre del Liceu (Emilia/Otello), the Opéra de Montréal (Fenena/Nabucco and Amneris/Aida), the Perm Opera and Ballet Theatre (Joan/The Maid of Orleans and the Duenna/Betrothal in a Monastery) as well as at the Arena di Verona Festival.
In 2016 Olesya Petrova performed the role of Marguerite/La Damnation de Faust in an anniversary concert by the Latvian National Symphony Orchestra (conducted by Vassily Sinaisky).
Her concert repertoire includes the mezzo-soprano roles in cantatas by Bach, Handel’s oratorio Messiah, Pergolesi’s Stabat Mater, Mozart’s Requiem and Krönungsmesse, Rossini’s Petite messe solennelle, Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, Verdi’s Requiem, Mahler’s Second, Third and Eighth Symphonies and Das Lied von der Erde and Kindertotenlieder, Prokofiev’s cantata Alexander Nevsky and Penderecki’s Morning Prayer in addition to song cycles by Wagner, Berlioz, Mahler, Mussorgsky and Schnittke.
Olesya Petrova collaborates with many Russian theatres, concert halls, orchestras, and chamber ensembles and has worked with Valery Gergiev, Leo Kremer, Fabio Mastrangelo, Vladimir Fedoseev, and other renowned conductors.
Olesya Petrova graduated from the St. Petersburg State Rimsky-Korsakov Conservatoire in 2008, class of Professor Irina Bogacheva.
- Prize-winner at the II Paris Opera Competition (2012; 1st prize and Audience Award)
- Finalist at the BBC Singer of the World competition (Cardiff, 2011)
- Prize-winner at the XIII Tchaikovsky International Competition (Moscow, 2007; 2nd prize)
- Prize-winner at the I Galina Vishnevskaya International Opera Singers Competition (Moscow, 2006; 2nd prize)
|Borodin, A.||Prince Igor||Konchakovna|
|Britten, B.||Peter Grimes||Mrs. (Nabob) Sedley|
|Cilea, F.||Adriana Lecouvreur||La principessa di Bouillon|
|Mascagni, P.||Cavalleria rusticana||Santuzza|
|Offenbach, J.||Les contes d’Hoffmann||Antonia’s mother|
|Prokofiev, S.||The Fiery Angel||Fortune-teller|
|Puccini, G.||Il Trabarro||La Frugola|
|Rimsky-Korsakov, N.||The Snow Maiden||Lel|
|The Tsar’s Bride||Lyubasha|
|Tchaikovsky, P.I.||Eugene Onegin||Olga|
|The Maid of Orleans||Joan of Arc|
|Un ballo in maschera||Ulrica|
|Beethoven, L.v.||Symphony No 9|
|Lied von der Erde|
|Symphony No 2|
|Symphony No 3|
|Symphony No 8|
|Prokofiev, S.||Aleksandr Nevskij|
AUDIO & VIDEO
Olesya Petrova – Condotta/Trovatore + O Don Fatal/Don Carlo w. Mehta in Tel Aviv, July 2019
Olesya Petrova – Samson et Dalila by C. Saint-Saëns – Dalila’s aria
Olesya Petrova – Requiem by G. Verdi – Recordare, Jesu pie
Olesya Petrova – Il Trovatore by G. Verdi – Stride la Vampa – 2017
Cardiff Singer of the World – St. David’s Hall, Cardiff